Monday, October 06, 2008

To Sign or not to Sign a iPhone Contract.


In the past months since iPhone 3G is available in Hong Kong I have been thinking about getting one but a 2 years contract has made me think twice before signing up. Like other iPhone 3G around the world signing up for a contract is the only way to get one (without the trouble of hacking). I don't mind signing up for a deal, but 24 months is just too long for me, so I waited and waited cause I know 3HK did not say anything about exclusive when they launch the iPhone 3G. The possibility of the different carrier or a contract less iPhone is very possible for the Hong Kong market as most mobile phone is sold contract less.

Finally it happen in Oct. 2008 Apple online store Hong Kong started to sale iPhone 3G without contract. The price is not cheap (5,400 8G/ 6200 16G) but well within the range of high-end smartphone pricing (Nokia N96 / 6,588 - HTC touch Pro / 6,380).

Now the wall of a lock in contract is down, what's left is shopping for a data plant that will fit my needs. Once again I'm back in the world of contract shopping again.

Note: So far Hong Kong is the only Apple online store that carry contact free iPhone 3G. Not sure will this version of iPhone will work in other counties carrier, but technically speaking it should.

No comments: