Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Touch Screen Party.

October is shaping up to be like a "Touch Screen Party" for smartphone market. After the launch announcement of the HTC G1 (Android) and the Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, here comes the first official webpage on the BlackBerry Storm from Vodafone. BlackBerry first touch screen phone without any keypad.

So you ask why suddenly everyone is fighting to get a space in the touch screen party? Well since Apple Inc. launched the first iPhone in US with a all touch screen input system, everyone is watching closely on how consumer will respond to a touch screen smartphone without any traditional keypad. Now the iPhone 3G has become an international product, other phone market no longer can wait in the sideline. But is all those touch base smartphone really playing the same game? Not really if you look closely at each device they might all base on the touch screen concept but their approach vary. 

I think you can basically divide them into 3 different camps. Finger only (iPhone), Stylus + Finger (HTC Diamond, Nokia 5800 etc.), and Finger + Keypad (HTC G1). For the Blackberry Storm is not clear what kind of input combination is it going to include, but it is likely to be a touch with stylus system. (BB Storm hands On from GIZMODO)

So which format works better? It really depended on the user. So I will say don't buy one until you really touch one first.

2 comments:

A.T. said...

I have been used several "smart iphone"...... well I still think iPhone is the smartest one.... of course there is some leak compare to Blackberry(well I like blackberry too... cus I love emailing)..... For me.. Blackberry is a device that make the things work... and the things are only related to work; and iPhone is a fancy one... but still I like iPhone...if I don't have iPhone, I will get blackberry.. BTW... my iPhone just broken @@ LoL

Norm said...

I agree the iPhone is so far the best package in mobile UI and system design. It is more like a computing platform than a mobile phone platform which other maker is basing on when they design their touch base phone with the except "Android".